The Kansas City Designer Toy Dream House

Written on by jeremy

Yesterday, no fewer than a dozen people sent me a link to Apartment Therapy’s tour of Sara and Jason’s amazing “toy-tastic” home. Each time I opened the email, I clicked in, and re-took the tour. Why? Because it was like digital Disneyland. No, it was way better than that. Sara and Jason are both designers and collectors. They live in Kansas City with three cats. Their toys are color-coordinated and flanked by Pete Fowler‘s Van Orlaxes.  The picture above is eyeball euphoria. A commenter named “blue_eyes” wrote in:

I’ve seen my future! My fiance collects action figures, so I’m pretty sure this what our home will eventually look like. If only I can convince him to display his toys by color and not by comic…

Oh blue_eyes. Get a pre-nup. Your house is never going to look this good. I say this with love.

Call them designer toys or art multiples, but here’s the thing: it’s a nice, warm, familiar, cozy, happy feeling to see a piece you own (or want to own) in another person’s collection. In this photo alone is work by Julie West, Jeremy Fish, Gary Baseman, Joe Ledbetter and Travis Lampe. I’m not alone in doing my identification homework. I love this blog comment referring to Fish’s Platinum Turtle Camper and Rotocasted.

Look at that Expedit! Crammed full of toys and books…the stuff of dreams. Knowing that the homeowners have “three fur children,” I wonder if they should Make Their Shelves Cat Friendly? You can get a lot out of reading blog comments (it makes me so happy when people leave them here). Sara answered my question with “Luckily the cats behave themselves, they are kind of old now but there has been some incidences in the past, ha!”

Speaking of those cats, I’m glad another commenter posed a question about the adorable cat dishes (at lower left, next to what has got to be a Simple Human trash can). Sara points out that they’re pricey, but awesome. There’s four colorways (at $90 each) by Milan-based designer Miriam Mirri for Alessi available here. (Put THAT on your Rotocasted Wishlist, right?)

Here we see some more Julie West, a bunch of Nathan Jurevicius and appearances by Amanda Visell and Andrew Bell. The whole house is just done so tastefully. What could quite easily have turned into a hoarder home looks like a gallery space. Feedback on their home was almost overwhelmingly all positive. The only bits of disagreement can be summed up as: “Adults with major toy collections freak me out a little” and “Must be a drag to dust”. We get over these things.

Let’s conclude with a succession of Tim Biskup Qees, and this advice from Sara and Jason: “Be creative and make your space represent who you are. You live there after all, so surround yourself with what you love!” Enter Apartment Therapy’s full house tour here.

Posted in Features, Toys, vinyl | 16 Comments

16 Responses

1. Posted by: Michal (Twitter: @mentisworks) on April 21, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Amazing. I even see a Poison Sweet in the first pic ^_^.

2. Posted by: Sara on April 22, 2011 at 8:37 am

Thank you SO much!!! This is wonderful!

3. Posted by: jeremy (Twitter: @jeremyriad) on April 22, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Leave a comment identifying the artists who created toys in the top picture in this post. I’ll tag ‘em, which is good for the artists’ stats in Google and such.

For instance: “Hey Dummy. I see a Mars-1 Explorer by STRANGEco. Tag that shit.”

4. Posted by: akitzmil (Twitter: @agitprop) on April 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm

A Gary Baseman Ditch next to a Horvath Ugly Doll Vinyl on the top shelf.

5. Posted by: akitzmil (Twitter: @agitprop) on April 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Andrew Bell Zlik and I think a Jeff Soto Egg Qee on the middle shelf on either side of the crappy cat.

6. Posted by: akitzmil (Twitter: @agitprop) on April 22, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Mars-1, Tokidoki, and Rolitoboy in the green section.

7. Posted by: jeremy (Twitter: @jeremyriad) on April 22, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Go @agitprop!

I spy two Chaos Monkeys by BUNKA and an Ace & Ion (in packaging) by Tara McPherson.

Keep it coming.

8. Posted by: akitzmil (Twitter: @agitprop) on April 22, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Tara McPherson Gosho and Cycle Dunny on the top shelf

9. Posted by: akitzmil (Twitter: @agitprop) on April 22, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Jled (Joe Ledbetter) Smash in the pink

10. Posted by: akitzmil (Twitter: @agitprop) on April 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Sam Flores Fatima near the pink. A Tim Biskup Wrecker Panda Qee on the shelf below that.

11. Posted by: akitzmil (Twitter: @agitprop) on April 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Pete Fowler’s Van Orlax are the two dudes on the floor.

12. Posted by: akitzmil (Twitter: @agitprop) on April 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm

SUG figure by UNKL in the green, blue, and white sections.

13. Posted by: akitzmil (Twitter: @agitprop) on April 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Steven the Bat by Bwana Spoons (and Super7) in the red section

14. Posted by: jeremy (Twitter: @jeremyriad) on April 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Thanks so much for your help with this! I’ve updated the tags with all the artists’ names you ID’d.

15. Posted by: Michal (Twitter: @mentisworks) on April 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Did you tag Yosiell’s Poison Sweet?

16. Posted by: jeremy (Twitter: @jeremyriad) on April 23, 2011 at 4:22 pm